Elim Life Church Data Protection Policy
Elim Life Church uses personal data about living individuals for the purpose of general church administration and communication.
Elim Life Church recognises the importance of the correct and lawful treatment of personal data. All personal data, whether it is held on paper, on computer or other media, will be subject to the appropriate legal safeguards as specified in the Data Protection Act 1998.
Elim Life Church fully endorses and adheres to the eight principles of the Data Protection Act. These principles specify the legal conditions that must be satisfied in relation to obtaining, handling, processing, transportation and storage of personal data. Employees and any others who obtain, handle, process, transport and store personal data for Elim Life Church must adhere to these principles.
The principles require that personal data shall:
- Be processed fairly and lawfully and shall not be processed unless certain conditions are met.
- Be obtained for a specified and lawful purpose and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose.
- Be adequate, relevant and not excessive for those purposes.
- Be accurate and where necessary, kept up to date.
- Not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose.
- Be processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights.
- Be kept secure from unauthorised or unlawful processing and protected against accidental loss, destruction or damage by using the appropriate technical and organisational measures.
- Not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area, unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
Please see the below Database selection point 4.
- Maintaining Confidentiality
Elim Life Church will treat all your personal information as private and confidential and not disclose any data about you to anyone other than the leadership and ministry overseers/co-coordinators of the church in order to facilitate the administration and day-to-day ministry of the church.
All Elim Life Church staff and volunteers who have access to Personal Data will be required to agree to sign a Confidentiality Policy and a Data Protection Policy.
There are four exceptional circumstances to the above permitted by law:
- Where we are legally compelled to do so.
- Where there is a duty to the public to disclose.
- Where disclosure is required to protect your interest.
- Where disclosure is made at your request or with your consent.
- Use of Personal Information
Elim Life Church will use your data for three main purposes:
- Theday-to-day administration of the church; e.g. pastoral care and oversight including calls and visits, preparation of ministry rotas, maintaining financial records of giving for audit and tax purposes.
- Contacting you to keep you informed of church activities and events.
- Statistical analysis; gaining a better understanding of church demographics. N.B. although collated church data may be passed to a third party, such as number of small groups or small group’s attendance, no personal data will be disclosed.
Information contained on the database will not be used for any other purposes than set out in this section. The database is accessed through the cloud and therefore, can be accessed through any computer or smart device with internet access. The server for the database is in the UK and hosted by Church Suite.
1.Access to the database is strictly controlled using name specific passwords, which are selected by the individual.
2.Those authorised to use the database only have access to their specific area of use within the database. This is controlled by the Data Controller and other specified administrators. These are the only people who can access and set these security parameters.
3.People who will have secure and authorised access to the database include Elim Life Church Staff, data in-putters, Ministry Team Leaders and Life Group Leaders.
4.The database will NOT be accessed by any authorised users outside of the EU, in accordance with the Data Protection Act, unless prior consent has been obtained from the individual whose data is to be viewed.
5.All access and activity on the database is logged and can be viewed by the Database Controller.
6.Subject Access – all individuals who are the subject of personal data held by Elim Life Church are entitled to:
- Ask what information the church holds about them and why.
- Ask how to gain access to it.
- Be informed how to keep it up to date.
- Be informed what Elim Life Church is doing to comply with its obligations under the 1988 Data Protection Act.
7.Personal information will not be passed onto any third parties outside of the church environment.
8.Subject Consent – The need to process data for normal purposes has been communicated to all data subjects. In some cases. If the data is sensitive, for example, information about health, race or gender, express consent to process the data must be obtained.
Rights to Access Information
Employees and other subjects of personal data held by Elim Life Church have the right to access any personal data that is being held in certain manual filing systems. This right is subject to certain exemptions: Personal Information may be withheld if the information relates to another individual.
Any person who wishes to exercise this right should make the request in writing to the Elim Life Church Data Controller, using the standard letter which is available on line from www.ico.gov.uk
Elim Life Church reserves the right to charge the maximum fee payable for each subject request. If personal details are inaccurate, they can be amended upon request.
Elim Life Church aims to comply with requests for access to personal information as quickly as possible, but will ensure that it is provided within 40 days of receipt of a completed form unless there is good reason for delay. In such cases, the reason for delay will be explained in writing to the individual making the request.